Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Second Lunar Eclipse 2014

I did manage to observe the second lunar eclipse of this tetrad, vultures not withstanding. Hazy clouds in the west moved in before I could set up anything complicated but did get a couple of camera-tripod shots with a 400mm lens. The point in the eclipse progression was favorable as it showed the blue-edging on the ruddy lunar disk. The blue dot to the left is the planet Uranus, which I did not see with binoculars. This was a much closer conjunction than the Moon-Mars conjunction during the first eclipse of the tetrad. The focus on my images was, unfortunately, not very good since I relied on the camera's auto-focus. In post-processing, I had to tighten up the radius of Uranus and sharpen the lunar surface details. Colors are as-shot.

Canon 60Da, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS - ISO-400, f/5.6, 1"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant comments and questions are welcome but submissions with spam-links will not be published.