Sunday, September 6, 2015

Wasps Begone

After our disastrous day at the Hawkwatch, we spent today on Mustang Island. Late in the day, we visited Leonabel Turnbull Birding Center. Not much action, either on the boardwalk or in the grove. While trying to catch a glimpse of a Yellow Warbler, I heard a Summer Tanager behind me. Suprised, I turned around and found a female a mere ten feet away. Looking more carefully, I saw that it was taking an interest in a paper wasp nest. I remember that such a nest had been reported on-line. There were no more wasps on it. The tanager then proceeded to delicately pull larvae out of the nest and eating them. Awesome close up view!

Summer Tanager (Female)
Summer Tanager (Female)
Summer Tanager (Female)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant comments and questions are welcome but submissions with spam-links will not be published.