Monday, May 26, 2014

Painted Buntings Along San Gabriel River

Painted Bunting season must be in full swing. We saw and heard a dozen today on our walk up to the lake, even along the portion of the trail following the river where I had not seen them before. Up at Overlook Park, I saw another immature male in song.

Canon SX-50 HS - 215mm, f/8, 1/360 sec, ISO-80
There were also many White-eyed Vireo singing and scolding ... I felt compelled to stop at each one and try to find it in the binoculars. I also caught sight of another Yellow-billed Cuckoo in the distance. I am learning to recognized the chocolate-brown back and spotted tail pattern which is evident in this picture.

Canon SX-50 HS - 215mm, f/5.6, 1/20 sec, ISO-800

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant comments and questions are welcome but submissions with spam-links will not be published.