Sunday, December 28, 2014

Using Image Stabilization on a Tripod

I had been taking lightly the recommendation that Image Stabilization (IS) be turned off on my Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS lens when using on a tripod. After having many soft pictures, I did another side-by-side test on a real subject.

The images below were taken of a snowy egret at about 50ft with camera mounted on a tripod. In both cases, I used back-button focus in AI Servo mode. Before each shot, I unfocused the lens, let AF acquire focus on the feather detail, and let the IS settle for a second before taking the shot. The effect of using IS when "not needed" is pretty dramatic. What I am still uncertain of is what constitutes "not needed".  I have taken slow tripod shots where the IS slightly improved the shot. Is it "tripod and fast shutter" or "tripod or fast shutter" that requires turning off IS.


2 comments:

  1. Hmm. Now I want to go try the same thing with a monopod. I rarely use a tripod in the field but frequently use a monopod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several sites, including this post, http://digital-photography-school.com/image-stabilization-on-tripods/, indicate that when the level of shake gets too low, the stabilization does more harm than good. The reading I have done indicate that IS should only be enabled for hand-held AND low shutter speed (how low needs some experimenting). A monopod probably sits somewhere between hand-held and tripod.

    ReplyDelete

Relevant comments and questions are welcome but submissions with spam-links will not be published.