Monday, December 29, 2014

Quest for a Better Sora

During our Christmas vacation in 2013, while staying at Balmorhea State Park, I saw my first Sora. This sighting near dusk followed an initial hearing of its unique whinnying call and then a half-hour of trying to locate it as it rustled through the reeds bordering the cienega. By stationing myself beyond where I heard it moving and staying still, it came within a few feet of me. However, in the poor lighting and without a flash I only got this one blurry image

Canon SX-50HS at ISO-3200, 69mm, f/5.6, 1/20sec, No Flash

It was, however, enough to identify it when I got back to the camper. During this past year, every time I went to a marshy birding location, I have been looking for another Sora, both to get a better view and to take a clear photograph. I finally succeeded one year later during our Christmas 2014 stay at Lake Balmorhea. After a brief glimpse of a Virginia Rail diving into the reeds of the sluice feeding into the lake, I waited for an hour to find it again. Instead, I found this Sora and followed it in the viewfinder from a distance of about 20 feet. I finally managed to get some shots of it clear of the vegetation.

Canon 7DII, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L at ISO-800, 400mm, f/8, 1/400sec, Flash


No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant comments and questions are welcome but submissions with spam-links will not be published.