Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Comet C2014/Q2 Lovejoy

Terrible astronomy weather this week and for the foreseeable future. However, this evening, on the day of closest approach, I manged to get about an hour of viewing with sort of clear skies. I set up a 70-200mm f/4L lens at 200mm with a QSI-540 and took four 5min frames in each of RGB colors. I used the comet head as a guide-star for tracking. In retrospect, these frames were too long to get sharp stars in the star-aligned frame. A length of 120s would have been better.  I also had some difficulty getting a usual median-combine operation on the comet-aligned frames to eliminate the stars. I had to do a lot of manual cleaning but was still left with messy streaky noise.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Relevant comments and questions are welcome but submissions with spam-links will not be published.